Friday, August 31, 2012

Life rediscovered


I open the car door and slide into the driver's seat.
The door closes.
Yes, it still feels as though this is my place.
Slowly, I move my hands around the steering wheel.
I stare at the dashboard and it, motionless but nervous, waits for me to make a move.
It seems that the gear shift recognizes my hand
and, pushing the clutch I begin to turn the key.
There is a sudden vibration in my back bone. The motor is alive!
Turning on the radio, I hear an old Van Halen rock tune: 1984.
The volume gets turned up: the second song is Jump!
First gear... and I depart. Slowly, then trying a bit of acceleration.
I open the window. It's August and the air of this beautiful day is beautifully perfumed.
My hand is gliding in the breeze outside...

Wait!
“Good morning, fill up the gas tank please.”
“Sure... Is your trip a long one?”
“Yes, a life...”
Let's go!

There it is again... Jump.  I raise the volume...

Then, I steal a glance at the rear view mirror...

Leukemia. Pneumonia.
Fear. Pain. Boredom. Nausea.
Surgical masks. Medicine.
TAC. X-Ray. Ultrasound.
Chemotherapy. Radiation therapy.
Low blood values. Fever. Antibiotics.

Again, my eyes are on the road ahead.
There is a curve, then a long straight path...

So glad to see  you, world. I've been away in recent months, but now I've returned  once more.

Back to what is life: think, deciding, doing.
And now... living!




No comments:

Post a Comment