Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Resilience


"I am sick... I am so sick...
Hey, maybe now I am getting better... No, I am worse than ever!
But why? A strong guy like me? No, now I can't move any more!
The light bothers me, and I close my eyes.
My ears hear only the whistle of the blood flowing in my veins.
My back hurts with an intense hammering pain that tortures my spinal cord...
There is a taste of iron in my mouth and I want to vomit.
My cheeks and my throat are devastated by burning mucous.
The nausea is extreme, I cough, I vomit... No... I haven't eaten in days.
I am totally alone... I clench my hands which have no strength.
It can't end like this! It can't end like this!
I begin to cry, and the hiccups of my tears send pain rushing down my back.
The ache increases. I have to stop!
I feel abandoned, defeated. This time, my God, I can't make it.
Life is ending... ending...
... I prepare my body... I'm ready... waiting... waiting..."

And the wait was long... I was ready for the worst. But, the worst did not arrive...
When I awoke, I was still there, in the bed of my hospital room.
Looking at the window, I saw the dawn of a new day.
And the light of the morning gave me hope and strength to fight again.
And I fought again. And I swore with all my forces that I would have done it!

This was the most important and necessary of my life's efforts.

Resilience is the capacity of humans to affront adversity, to overcome it, and to be transformed by it in a positive way.



2 comments:

  1. I've just experienced one of these times. Yes, you are right. Resilience transforms us. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, whoever you are! Glad to know that you have come out from such a condition.
      God bless you!

      Delete