Monday, August 27, 2012

To relatives


You were always there, and I saw you waiting in the hallway,
being held up by the wall as you wait to enter the room.
And I saw you awkwardly fumbling with those surgical masks, which are so difficult to wear.
You were there, running after the doctors, to ask desperate questions which could not wait to be answered.
I saw you all alone, silently cry.
And I watched you leave the room, shutting the door with a happy gesture, taking leave with a nearly joyful hop.
There you were, and I watched you slowly pushing the trolleys, heavy with clear plastic bags, up and down the corridors.
There you were, and I saw that you were surrounded by doctors and trying to understand all the obscure words they were using.
There you were, and I saw you to smile while arriving in the hospital with good hot food bought in a restaurant.
You wandered the corridor, eyes red, searching for a sink with cold water to throw on your face.
There you were, and you thanked every one of the nurses, individually, for their humanity.
And then you rushed back and forth, between the room and the car, carrying the bags, to finally leave the hospital.

To everyone who has carried, and is carrying, the heavy weight of illness and suffering with endless strength,
let me say THANKS from all of us who have been and are in those rooms.
For what you have done and do for your loved ones, this is like an additional therapy.

Doctors treat our bodies.
You take care of our souls.



No comments:

Post a Comment