Monday, September 03, 2012

The race


Here we go!

My steps are carefully measured; the race is very long.
I try to find a balance between the rhythm of my steps and the rhythm of my breathing and heartbeat.
The stride is regular and my legs alternate the pushing.
The road is long and smooth; so the race begins.

My fists are tightly held and seem to fight against the air.
Now, I feel breathless, but I react.
The asphalt gives away to a winding path,
and my contact with the ground becomes softer than before.

I continue to push, and the exhaustion increases.
I alter my steps, my breathing and heartbeat.
There's a stab of pain in my spleen,
but I grit my teeth and try to think of something else.

There is another runner there ahead,
so I lengthen my stride and try to reach him.
The distance between us is diminishing.
I begin to wonder if I am accelerating or he is slowing.
With a last bit of force, I reach him.

We exchange quick glances; we are about the same age.
Our steps coincide, but I push myself again and pass him.
Now, he's following me, racing.
We are like two team mates, running close together.

The air now brings tears to my eyes, and the countryside is out of focus.
My mouth is open and I need more oxygen.
My new friend sees my difficulty, runs more quickly and passes me.
Now, he is the one who leads.
His shoulders are thin, but so are mine.

There's a hill, and our fatigue rises even more.
We shorten our stride, but he cannot do it.
I pass ahead of him and see that his breath is broken and he wants to stop.
I run slower and wait for him to reach me.
Then I maintain his rhythm.

A drop of water! The sky has promised rain since early morning...
Now, the rain falls harder, and our hair, our clothes are soaked.
Our feet hit on ground which has become like muddy glue;
but we continue to run.

We pass over a bridge then there, on the right, there is a table with water and lemons.
I change direction, run towards the table and grab a glass.
Then, I turn and see that my friend does the same.
We drink while running... and we laugh.

Our path leads us around a tree then heads downwards.
Now, we must be careful because we risk to slide and fall.
This is a good moment for us to catch our breath,
and my friend appears to have recovered.

I have always preferred uphill climbs,
so the downhill is long and tiring.
The rain, meanwhile, seems to be diminishing.
Once more, we lengthen our strides.

Now, we are running on the edge of a level green field.
By now, we are used to the fatigue, and we gaze straight ahead.
The suffering is constant, but we can control it.
My friend, too, seems to recover.

We pass a small hill and again change direction.
The wind is strong, and we must combat against it to advance.
Instinctively, I lower my head, to protect my eyes.
And my legs push harder at every step.

Breathing is again short,
and it becomes difficult even to run on a level road.
My friend and I continue to exchange supporting roles,
so that the one who remains behind is protected from the gusts.

The last curve appears and finally we return to the asphalt.
We are protected by the city street and the wind is not so intense.
On the side of the road, people are cheering us.
Our exhausted muscles obtain new energy from their support.

The sky changes once more, and we can see the sun filtering through the clouds.
The wet roads create dazzling reflections.
Our strides pass over deep puddles and wide sidewalks.
There is a long winding path and there, at the end, the crowd!

My friend and I look at each other.
The suffering is over and we are happy.
Going faster, I feel a block in my stomach,
But I ignore the pain and forge ahead.

We are nearly flying toward the finish line.
Around us, people are yelling,
but I can only hear my heartbeat.
We are shoulder to shoulder,
and our intention is to arrive at the finish together.
Slowly, we go across the line, after such a long and agonizing race.

Our arms are straight with our hands held on our knees,
to support the heavy breathing.
All of our exhaustion seems to have passed through our lungs.
We look at each other and grin. We did it!
We move closer and touch each others' shoulders.

- I'm Alfonso, you?
- Alberto.
- I have leukemia, you?
- Me too.
- I'm going to have a bone marrow transplant; my brother is compatible.
- And I am having one three months after you; my brother is compatible too.
- Well, Alberto. let's do this race together.
- Yes, you go ahead and I will follow you!





No comments:

Post a Comment